[Kzyxtalk] KZYX Take Note: No More Fracking NPR

David Gurney jugglestone at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 08:12:08 PDT 2014

---->

NPR — Can’t Hear You

I don’t know if you heard about this – but it’s a big deal: National Public
Radio has been accepting money from the Fracking Industry lately and it’s
been influencing their coverage. Our friends at Environmental Action have
been tracking this ugly story and campaigning to put an end to this
disturbing trend. They’re planning an awesome action in DC this week to
show NPR they know what’s going on, and they’re going to stop it. We know
that money warping our best public institutions is an issue you care deeply
about, whether it’s fracking, Big Oil or the megabanks. Can you join us and
Environmental Action in letting NPR know that it’s time to step the frack
back from fracking money?

Thanks, John Sellers, The Other 98%

* * *

When we took 40,000 signatures to our meeting with NPR executives a few
weeks ago, they said they were shocked to hear that the millions of dollars
they accept from the fracking industry might be tainting their coverage.
The Ombudsman and CEO promised to personally look into the issue.* They
lied. Which isn’t surprising when you consider that not telling the truth
about fracking has become something of a habit at NPR. Just last week
another NPR reporter went on a special trip to report about how fracking is
so awesome because it’s allowing a resurgence of chemical manufacturing in
Cancer Alley.** Sign here if you’ve had it with NPR taking money from the
fracking industry and then repeating their talking points. We’ll deliver
your name on a live broadcast beamed into NPR’s headquarters so they can’t
ignore us. NPR’s been bought — lock, stock and microphones — by the
fracking industry. And it’s clear that if we want to change the coverage,
we’re going to have to treat its staff as a hostile witness. We have to
make them listen because they don’t want to hear the truth about fracking.
So we’re taking our message back to D.C. and we’re going to beam a live
signal into NPR’s office. Will you sign on in support, so we can tell NPR
you want them to tell the truth about fracking? I still believe in NPR. I
think there are good reporters in there that want to tell the truth about
fracking. So, just like America used to beam western music and news into
soviet-occupied Europe, we’re going take our message of truth and beam it
directly into NPR’s headquarters on the FM band. These frackers may have
bought the mouthpiece of NPR, but if anyone inside has a heart and ears,
they wont be able to shut us out. After all, that’s what public radio is
supposed to be about — the people speak on issues of national concern.
National Public Radio hears, investigates and reports the truth. And the
truth is all we’ve ever needed to beat the frackers.

Pump up the volume, Drew and the team at Environmental Action *
Environmental Action, What Happened at NPR, December 18, 2013. **

Jackie Northam, German Chemical Giant BASF Benefits From Cheap U.S. Natural
Gas, Morning Edition March 26, 2014. Other 98% Action is fighting the
stranglehold that corporations have on our democracy. Like what we do? Make
a $5 donation to support us.

http://www.environmental-action.org/blog/what-happened-npr

[image: * * *]