[Kzyxtalk] The jaws that bite, the claws that catch.

Marco McClean memo at mcn.org
Sat Jun 1 23:31:14 PDT 2019

The recording of last night's (2019-05-31) Memo of the Air: Good Night
Radio show on KNYO-LP Fort Bragg and KMEC-LP Ukiah is available by one
or two clicks, depending on whether you want to listen to it now or
download it and keep it for later and, speaking of which, it's right here:
https://tinyurl.com/KNYO-MOTA-0335

Anne Maureen McKeating called from Toronto to talk about the Larry
Spring electromagnetic science and stick figurine museum. Kay Rudin came
in to talk about the Big Band show, and Redwood Mary saw her through the
window, followed her in, and talked about saving the Redwoods,
capitalistic industrial land spoliation, her bucolic childhood in New
Jersey, sledding down grassy hills on smashed cardboard boxes, and
Polish as a first language. I got her to swear at me in Polish; you'll
like that. It doesn't sound like swearing at all. Swearing in /Chinese/
sounds like swearing. Polish just isn't all /barky/ like Chinese-- or
like U.S. English. I remember Biff Rose saying that Americans sound to
the rest of the world like barking dogs. Alex Bosworth called from
Fayetteville. He sort of honks rather than barks, though.

So many people– I didn’t get started reading in earnest until the purple
sailor hour (11:11), and I brought a huge stack of material, so there’s
a lot left over to read next week, Scott Peterson's story among them.
Sorry, Scott. Next week.

Besides all that, at http://MemoOfTheAir.wordpress.com you can find a
fresh batch of dozens of links to not necessarily radio-useful but
nonetheless worthwhile educational items I set aside for you while
gathering the show together. Such as:

A thrilling graph. And it’s currently Breast Neoplasm leading by a nose.
(By number of scientific papers on the subject.)
https://twitter.com/Akivino1/status/1133232927314255872

The Music Lab. Fun music science games.
http://themusiclab.org/

Improving movies by adding Godzilla.
https://film.avclub.com/heres-proof-that-every-movie-is-improved-by-adding-godz-1835131848

And a finger kaleidoscope dance that makes you think of the teevee
series The Magician. When they do magic, they move their fingers a lot
like this and it channels the power.
https://misscellania.blogspot.com/2019/05/finger-kaleidoscope.html

--
Marco McClean, memo at mcn.org,