[Kzyxtalk] Girl power.

Marco McClean memo at mcn.org
Sun Feb 28 00:08:17 PST 2016

"I think we are well advised to keep on nodding terms with the people we
used to be, whether we find them attractive company or not. Otherwise
they turn up unannounced and surprise us, come hammering on the mind’s
door at 4 A.M. of a bad night and demand to know who deserted them, who
betrayed them, who is going to make amends." --Joan Didion

The recording of last night's (2016-02-26) Memo of the Air: Good Night
Radio show is available to download or just listen to free with one
click, maybe two, via http://MemoOfTheAir.wordpress.com

Equipment problems prevented starting on time, but Bob Young showed up
and made a fricking satellite phone out of an umbrella and a
Speak-N-Spell, and by 9:30 I stumbled into the air. And after a couple
of minutes of getting used to weightlessness it went pretty well. Mitch
Clogg and Elly Cooney came in and Mitch read from his new book. Alex
called much later and talked about film. I think you’ll like it.

Again, I want to recommend the teevee series /Jessica Jones/. It's
adapted from the Marvel comix. It's about a self-loathing alcoholic
private detective with a low-rent superpower (strength) and a reasonable
explanation for the self-loathing part of it, a both fathomable and
fathomless remorse. The villain is played by everyone's favorite
/Doctor/, David Tennant. I especially draw your attention to the
harridan who lives upstairs with her brother; I know a dozen women like
that in real life --a terrifying type to be avoided at all cost-- but
you hardly ever see a creature like that on teevee, probably because
it's so hard to describe the character, because even a writer's mind
shies away from it. I'm even having trouble imagining the actress
training for the bit part. Really, /Jessica Jones/-- it's a year-long
story arc; start from the beginning.

All that said, also at http://MemoOfTheAir.wordpress.com you'll find
thousands and thousands of links to not necessarily radio-useful but
nonetheless interesting things to see and do and learn about, such as:

Weightless but not tireless elephants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYXAoAYKhio

The Chaos read aloud in British English.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfRSvTSY0d4

The greasiest crane he's ever been on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ8jkZQxyjA

And I understand you like to look at pictures.
http://tinyurl.com/zwvtxkj

-----

Marco McClean
memo at mcn.org