[Kzyxtalk] Fine journalism by Sherri Quinn

Jane Futcher janefutcher at me.com
Thu Feb 18 13:54:38 PST 2016

Great journalism, indeed! Thank you, Sherri! Having Glen Colwell, an opponent of the Grist Creek rubberized asphalt plant, and Woodhouse, who sponsored the project, on at the same time to respond to each other deepened the dialogue and brought some new facts to light.

Colwell’s frustration was palpable as Woodhouse, who fast-tracked the plant last March, now shifts blame for the plant’s continued air pollution violations to the county oversight agencies that he, as a member of the BOS, appoints/hires/fires.

The asphalt plant was, by the way, vehemently opposed last March by Colwell, as well as attorneys for Friends of Outlet Creek, and many neighbors, including me. We knew that if the plant went on-line, it would be very difficult to shut down.

Over many opponents' objections, Woodhouse and the BOS approved the plant 5-0 without referring the project to Planning for internal or CEQA review. A properly conducted EIR would have shown that a former sandbar in the floodplain of Outlet Creek, located in narrow valley, is an untenable site for a rubberized asphalt plant.

Kudos, Sherri!