[Kzyxtalk] Reasons for Challenging Programmer-Director Policy

Doug McKenty dougmck at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 18:58:49 PDT 2016

Tim,

I wish to to respond to this accusation that those of us who are trying to effect democratic change are doing so out of some sense of personal spite. I hear over and over that I am just mad because I lost my program. Now I hear that Dennis is mad because he lost the board election.

This is ridiculous.  Is it so impossible for you to believe that we advocate for democratic reform because we care about Community Radio and truly believe that forcing out a large segment of the population (those who seek alternatives to NPR) is the root cause of the stations on going financial crisis?

I have always, only advocated that the board of KZYX follow the basic protocol resulted by law. This is not a personal attack, this is out of serious concern that if the station does not abide by these laws, the CPB will pull its funding.

I decided well in advance of losing Open Lines, that going public about these governance issues, with the hopes the Board would start to take them seriously, was worth losing my show over. Ask Stuart Campbell, I told him three months before I lost Open Lines that I would lose my program if I started to discuss these issues openly. I was not surprised in the least when, though I treated the cuss word just as I had dozens of cuss words, it was used as the excuse. I do not understand what made station management act that way, only to say that I have compassion for those who suffer from passive/aggressive coping mechanisms.

By buying into the narrative that all of this effort to bring attention to a myriad of governance issues is somehow just a personal act of spite is only enabling this behavior.

Doug

Sent from my iPhone