[Kzyxtalk] Reasons for Challenging Programmer-Director Policy

Doug McKenty dougmck at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 18:45:42 PDT 2016

The reason that I have heard for the way things are currently set up was actually in response to the fear that the programmers, not the members  could control the station if a system was not in place to curb their influence.

It makes sense that programmers, who spend a lot of time volunteering for the station, would also want to be part of station governance by running for the board. The fear was that programmers could eventually take over many of the board seats, and the community at large would have less say.

The compromise was to give the programmers their own representative, then only allow other programmers to run for the at-large seats, this insuring that others from the community had a chance to run for the district seats.

This always made sense to me, though perhaps not purely democratic. And I am not familiar with membership-nonprofit laws to the contrary.

Perhaps you are right. If anyone can run for the board, and the membership chooses 9 programmers, what is the harm?

I do think there is some truth to what you are saying about how the programmers have been stilted toward management.  There is a protocol that management is supposed to have followed ensuring objectivity in the programming decision making process. Management unilaterally ditched that process, and arguably filled programming slots with their "friends."  Now those friends vote for their policies. Hardly democratic.

I have for sometime thought the same of the membership.  In the past, there may have been more than 3100 voting members. Nobody seems to know the exact number.  Management unilaterally decided to air more NPR programming. People who don't like NPR quit the station.  Now the remaining membership, the ones who support NPR, continually vote for the pro-NPR candidate. The rest of the community simply left the station, which is why it has become more and more dependent on the CPB grant.

It is a downward spiral. The more management makes programming choices that benefit their beliefs, the more the only people left volunteering/as members, are those who agree with managements programming/policy decisions.  This is why I have spent the last three years asking ex-members to rejoin and vote!!  This is the only way the station will change.

No matter, the CPB will always bail the station out with or without community support.

Doug

Sent from my iPhone