[Kzyxtalk] kzyxtalk…Does it help or harm?

sako4 at comcast.net sako4 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 2 17:57:56 PDT 2014

Norman,

There is nothing destructive about dissent. The majority opinion is that everything is fine at the station. It's not. I'll explain.

Seeing our beloved station survive an increasingly competitive public radio marketplace and an equally competitive fundraising environment is not a foregone conclusion.

My personal opinion is that KZYX should have eliminated the GM position going back to before Belina Rowlins, and the station should have used the money it saved on investing in equipment and technology.

I further also strongly believe that all remaining staff should be technically-oriented. On-site techies. Staff who are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about helping our hundred volunteer programmers produce, market, and promote their shows, thereby growing the station's listening audience and membership base.

There's a reason why our membership base is stuck at 2,300. There is a reason why underwriting revenues have fallen. There is a reason why KMUD snagged 400 of our members. There's a reason why KMEC got a new tower location and greatly expanded broadcasting area.

We are vulnerable.

I won't argue on this listserv. I've had enough conflict. And I'm tired of being a whipping boy. But I'm telling you, we are vulnerable. We are top-heavy in management, and light in the things that really matter.

The signal really matters.

John