[Kzyxtalk] OPEN LETTER TO THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS AT MENDOCINO COUNTY PUBLIC RADIO

sako4 at comcast.net sako4 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 2 11:11:34 PDT 2014

OPEN LETTER TO THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS AT MENDOCINO COUNTY PUBLIC RADIO

Dear Board:

It's unacceptable that KZYX remains off the air. It's been three whole days now with no end in sight.

The report from station management has been the following:

"(7:55 PM): One of the replacement units has a problem and must go back to the shop for repair (in Napa). We will not be able to get back on the air until Weds. Our sincere apologies."

"First 91.7 went down Monday morning and then after 3 PM 90.7 went down. The 'STL' unit up at Cold Springs that receives the signal from the Philo studio (which it then transmits on 90.7 and also goes over to 91.5) has failed. We are working to get a spare unit working as a temporary backup."

"91.5 may have iced up Monday morning in the short but intense snow storm that hit. It is located on Laughlin Peak and even with a 4X4, it was too snowy to reach the transmitter building at the top. If it is ice on the antenna, it will come back of its own accord once it thaws. But you won't hear anything until we get 90.7 working."

Not acceptable.

And it's why, in part, I complained to the FCC last year.

As I have been telling everyone who will listen during these last few days. KZYX needs equipment that works more than we need top-heavy management. Period. End of story. We need a signal. We don't need a General Manager -- GM John Coate. We don't need an Executive Director -- GM Coate's additional title per his insistence in his contract.

With no disrespect to Coate who seems to have convinced the KZYX Board of Directors that he walks on water and turns water into wine, the Board should eliminate the GM position, and use that money to make necessary investments in infrastructure.

No doubt, Coate's answer during this crisis will be for the station to raise yet more money, more money, more money.

More money always seems to be the answer. In that regard, a failing public radio station reminds me of failing government. More money. Higher taxes. Bigger budgets. Bigger government. More. More. More. Until "more" collapses under its own weight, often the weight of more debt.

Think about it. Less management at KZYX is the answer. The smarter expenditure of our few precious dollars is the answer. Streamlined, efficient operations are the answer. Investment in equipment and technology is the answer.

Spending more money is not the answer.

And regardless, KZYX can't do more. In the six years that Coate has been our station's GM, KZYX has not -- repeat, has not -- been able to grow its membership base from 2,300. Membership remains stuck there, at 2,300 members, even as more listeners become KMUD members (400 people) or as they begin to listen to KMEC, which has a new tower location and expanded broadcast area.

Also, more underwriting revenues aren't the answer. Underwriting revenues have fallen -- repeat, fallen -- in each of the last few years.

It simple. Any 5th grader can see it. More money and management is not the answer. Equipment and technology is the answer to KZYX's survival.

Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

I see a day when KZYX has a satellite uplink and not just receives content from the Public Radio Satellite System (PRSS) but also sends content to PRSS. PRSS is the interconnected satellite-distributed network managed by NPR (National Public Radio), and used by NPR, Public Radio International (PRI), and American Public Media (APM), as well as independent public radio program producers, to distribute programming via satellite to public radio stations across the United States.

I see a day when KZYX has a Ukiah studio by collaborating with KMEC, leasing some studio space, and sends the signal from Ukiah to Philo via Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), much like I did with Jay Johnson when I started my show in Ukiah six years ago. It was easy peasy -- and cheap. Jay built our "studio" in his office on State Street in Ukiah for less than a few hundred bucks.

I see a day when KZYX's one hundred or so volunteer programmers have their shows archived by staff. People ask me all the time, "Where can I listen to a rebroadcast of your show?" My show airs on Friday mornings when most people work. I, and other programmers, have been shown how to archive my shows, but it's a technical process that requires a fair amount of computer literacy. Hence, only a handful of our hundred programmers have archived their shows. Audio archives are so important in growing an audience and our station.

I see a day when our hundred volunteer programmers each have their respective show's own Facebook and Twitter accounts. LinkedIn is also important. And PinInterest, Google Plus+, Tumblr, Instagram, VK, Flickr, Tagged, and Ask.fm. Again, marketing and promotion is so important in growing an audience and our station, and staff should be dedicated to helping programmers use social media.

I see a day when our hundred programmers have podcasts. It's so obvious. Podcasts. Podcasts allow the individual to be content creators. Our one hundred volunteer programmers are nothing, if not content creators. Many media production tools for podcasts that were once only available to a few are now free and easy to use. Podcasts can be created, viewed, distributed, modified and preserved by our station's one hundred volunteer programmers, all on on their laptops or even smartphones.

I see a day when our hundred volunteer programmers have RSS feeds —which stands for Really Simple Syndication. RSS could easily be a really convenient way to get audio, video, and text content from KZYX. An RSS feed may contain audio and video files, headlines, summaries, and links to full articles. These feeds are viewed through an RSS feed reader (also called an RSS aggregator). Most modern web browsers can serve as rudimentary feed readers. Another popular, free choice is Google Reader.

I see when we have an interactive webpage for KZYX, where listeners can submit program ideas and other other content. The new webpage would also have sections for KZYX e-newsletter, events/community outreach, membership benefits program, pledge challenge grants, sponsorship help, and new sponsorship opportunities. A section for breaking news would be really cool, too.

Most of all, I see a day when our station works. No signal interruption. No broadcast interruption. None. No equipment failures. No breakdowns. No excuses.

No dead air.

No dead air as we've had for the better of the first week of April, here at KZYX. Dead air is embarrassing. And it will kill our station. Remember, we more than disappoint our listeners with dead air. We dishonor them. Why? Because we are public radio.

Therefore, eliminate the GM position. Use the money saved by cutting this position to rebuild infrastructure. Then, let's plan for a bright future and grow the station in some of the ways noted above.

Please give my suggestion serious consideration. If the station fails, it's on us -- We, the Board of Directors for Mendocino County Public Radio.

Thank you.

John Sakowicz