[Kzyxtalk] Announcing The Technique! and Memo of the Air: Good Night Radio tonight on KNYO and KMEC!

Marco McClean memo at mcn.org
Fri Feb 2 17:15:56 PST 2018

Announcing The Technique! and Memo of the Air: Good Night Radio tonight
on KNYO and KMEC!

I've told you a number of times about how I have always been envious of
people who can make that Scottish/Spanish/Xhosa rolling-R sound with
their mouth at the start or in the middle of words (that have an R). I
couldn't whistle, and I learned to whistle. I can wiggle and wave toes
independently of other toes on the same foot, and open and close my
nostrils independently of one another without employing fingers or a
pencil or an electrical prosthetic aid (though those are all good
training tools). I was in my middle twenties when accordionist John
Paul's son Heile (sp?), also an accordionist, taught me to juggle. But
after literally decades of reading about it and trying different ways,
and asking people to show me how, and lately watching instruction
videos, I still could not do the rolling-R sound.

And just now (!) I was reading about Colombian clarinetist Jaime Uribe,
and hearing the name in my head in the exaggerated way that makes it
funny: HHY-mee oo-RRRRee-bay, and it occurred to me that I could
simulate the rolling-R sound by sharply vibrating my entire head left
and right exactly at the right time, keeping my cheeks loose and letting
the /flapping of my face/ vibrate the R, and I tried it. It hurts a
little -it gives you a headache- but it works! It works!

It's vain when an innovator names a universally useful thing after
himself, like the Valsalva or Picard maneuvers, say, or Kleenex or a
Hoover, so I'll be calling this simply /The Technique/.

IN OTHER NEWS:

I'll be in Fort Bragg for tonight's show. If you want to talk about your
project or read aloud your writing in person, or bring your
instrument(s) and/or fellow instrumentalists and play a short set, or
invent an entirely new thing to do with radio that no-one has ever
thought of before, you can drop by 325 N. Franklin, next door to the Tip
Top bar, after 9pm and just wade in. Head for the lighted room at the
back and clear your throat or clap your hands (or triumphantly /The
Technique/ a rolling R) or something. If you like to speak freely with
proper swears, wait till 10pm, because otherwise that agitates the weasels.

Memo of the Air: Good Night Radio: Every Friday, 9pm to about 4am on
107.7fm KNYO-LP Fort Bragg, and 105.1fm KMEC-LP Ukiah. And also there
and anywhere else via http://knyo.org or if that doesn't work for you
try http://TuneIn.com and look up KNYO-LP.

The deadline to email your writing to be read on MOTA is always about 5
or 6pm the night of the show, no matter where I'm doing the show from.
So as of this writing you have some time to get that together for
tonight. Just paste your poem or essay of kvetch or sale item or
whatever into the body text of an email, check that it's going to me and
not to the whole group, unless that's what you want, and press send.

Besides that, you can have /your own whole regular radio show/ on KNYO.
Contact Bob Young: bobb at poetworld.net and introduce yourself; you'll be
on the schedule before you can say Jaime Urrrrribe!

Jaime URRRRRibe! Ow.

--
Marco McClean
memo at mcn.org