[Kzyxtalk] Formal Challenge to Election of Programmer-Director

Scott Peterson scottmartinpeterson at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 22 18:28:43 PDT 2016

This challenge makes perfect sense to me.
The only bylaws for MCPB that I've ever seen are the ones on the KZYX website here:
http://www.kzyx.org/images/pdf/MCPBBYLAWSAdopted12July2010.pdf
These bylaws are neither signed, nor certified. They're dated July 12, 2010. As Mr. O'Brien
points out here, they created a second class of both membership and director. With
a material impact on the rights of charter MCPB members.
Because of the date, these bylaws should have been filed with the 2011 Form 990. As an
amendment to the original bylaws. But they were never filed. Notice the response to
item 4 on page six of the Form 990 here:
http://207.153.189.83/EINS/680050440/680050440_2011_08e6d520.PDF
No significant changes were made to the organization's governing documents. Because
they were never ratified by MCPB's general membership. And these so-called bylaws
were never filed with the Registry of Charitable Trusts. Nor have any ever been filed:
http://rct.doj.ca.gov
There's a second problem with the creation of a special programmer director position
on MCPB's board of directors. Obviously, such a director wouldn't be able to vote on
a significant number of issues brought before the board. And non-voting directors were
outlawed by AB 2755. Effective January 1, 2015 here:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/13-14/bill/asm/ab_2751-2800/ab_2755_bill_20140324_introduced.pdf
So even if that position was legitimate in 2010, it isn't anymore.
The only place I've seen were the 2010 bylaws were approved are at the minutes here:
http://www.kzyx.org/images/pdf/mtg_minutes/KZYX&Z%20Board%20Minutes%207-12-10.pdf
Notice the attendance stated in the third paragraph; 'and members of the public'. I don't see any
representatives of the general membership. Not one. And look at Item 7 at the bottom of page 3.
Where the 'By-Laws Amendment was unanimously approved by the Board.' Without the consent
of anyone else.
It's a nice piece of theatre. But not much else in my book.