[Kzyxtalk] The earplug of the board.

Doug McKenty dougmck at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 16:17:57 PDT 2015

Well. This is a funny story.

I showed up at the KZYX office yesterday with two other members to see financial and membership information that we had requested access to.  The bylaws clearly state all members can see this information upon request and I have some questions regarding just how much less the station brings in from the community now than it did before its financial collapse in 2007.

Not only were we denied access to the information we requested but the police were there waiting for us.

Apparently, Mark Scaramella wrote something in the AVA last week that if Judy Bari had been denied access to these records she would have stormed the station to get them. KZYX staff was frightened that we might get the notion from the article to follow Judi's lead so they called the cops for protection.  The article apparently made them feel we posed a "credible threat" to their personal safety.

Initially, I just wanted to go over the station's numbers, but considering that the previous GM quit the day after we requested to see the information and the current GM called the cops to make sure we would not get access to it, I am beginning to wonder if something else isn't going on.

When I explained to the officer on the scene what we were doing, he told me to give him a call if I found evidence of embezzlement.

Since we were there, we went ahead and took a look at the Public File. Staff was nice enough to allow us to look at it.  It could use an update.

Doug McKenty.

Sent from my iPhone