[Kzyxtalk] Uqumangirniq.

Marco McClean memo at mcn.org
Sat Nov 4 18:32:02 PDT 2023

Subject: Uqumangirniq.

Here's the recording of last night's (Friday 2023-11-03) eight-hour-long
Memo of the Air: Good Night Radio show on 107.7fm KNYO-LP Fort Bragg
(CA) and KNYO.org:
https://tinyurl.com/KNYO-MOTA-0565

I'm happy to read your writing on the radio. Just email it to me and
that's all you have to do.

Besides all that, at https://MemoOfTheAir.wordpress.com you'll find a
fresh batch of dozens of links to worthwhile items I set aside for you
while gathering the show together, such as:

Not merely a no-moving-parts ionic thruster, but a wing made out of
several of them. He never mentions what this smells like, which is
probably because of stunning his nose from the ozone. The whole
high-voltage experimentation years of my life smell like that in memory:
first, wonderful ozone, then not so much, though of course it's still
there. Real future airplanes might run on this principle, and that might
be good for the atmosphere, orchids, and people at the beach, if the
planes are high enough. Now I want to see an /ironic/ thruster. What
would that be like? I'll ask ChatGPT. See below.*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lDSSgHG4q0

Fascinating article about aphantasia. I don't have this, but I know
people who say they do. It's subjective. For me, it's somewhere between
2 and 4 on the scale at the top of the page, depending on my focus. It
starts out 4, then the more I go into it, the more detail and color
emerges, and it isn't always the same amount for different classes of
visualized object or scene. Some memories get vivid sounds, and some
don't. I've read a science paper that said you can't smell things in a
dream, but I have done that, and it's like the scale of visual detail
and color, it comes in varying intensity, from ghostly to almost but not
quite real, just like the waking memory of a smell, because it's your
waking memory of a smell in a dream, duh. Except for poison or decay or
good food smells, or the smell of a stranger breathing sweat and alcohol
and violent intent into your face– that's as vivid as hitting your thumb
with a hammer. Car repair smells. A tire store. A haberdashery in 1964.
Uncle Pat's pipe: see it, hear it, smell it, burn your fingers and your
tongue on it.
https://kottke.org/23/10/does-your-brain-picture-things

*The Ironic Thruster, by ChatGPT: Once upon a time, in a distant future,
an eccentric scientist named Dr. Evelyn embarked on a quest to create
the most unusual propulsion system ever seen, the Ironic Thruster. Dr.
Evelyn was known for her unorthodox thinking and her relentless pursuit
of scientific novelty. She designed the Ironic Thruster to smirk at
coincidences to generate thrust. It was an intricate device, with a
complex array of giant gears, rubber chickens, and more. For Dr.
Evelyn's laboratory was filled with whoopee cushions, cat lasers, boxes
of banana peels, actual iron, and…

("Actual iron." If that isn't evidence of A.I. sentience, there is no God.)

Marco McClean, memo at mcn.org
https://MemoOfTheAir.wordpress.com