[Kzyxtalk] Crux II. KZYX.

Marco McClean memo at mcn.org
Wed Feb 18 01:58:29 PST 2015

Tim Gregory wrote:
> ...cutting off the head, to save the body is not good
> prognosis to me.
>
> ...the 'starve-the-budget' tactic is very Republican to me. sandbagging,
> sabotage...whatever you want to call it, it's neither loving nor helpful.

    Marco here. Tim, how many times do I have to say this: it's the
/managers/ who have been starving the budget since the beginning. What
part of-

"In 2014 KZYX' managers were paid over $180,000. That's 3,600 $50 yearly
memberships, when you only have 2,300 members. It's as if the managers
are taking the money out of all the pledge envelopes and stuffing it in
their own pockets, and then some..."

    -do you not grasp? Maybe I confused you when I wrote in an earlier
post of the importance of cutting the fat at the top; maybe I should
have said removing a parasite from the middle, a parasite that's
consuming two-thirds of the station's ingested nutrients... No, no, then
you'd hear /cutting out the heart to spite the ankles/.

    And I'm not 'monkeywrenching' by saying these things. I'm shining a
light in a dark, um, intestine. KZYX' managers are failing the station
by not maintaining crucial equipment  -what they, or rather a competent
engineer, should be there for in the first place-  and they're failing
the station by big spending on nonessential things, like the new
gazillion-dollar computerized mixing board to show off to non-tech-savvy
visitors and investors, things that don't improve the signal nor make
anyone's show better but just squat there like a giant toad and go beep.

    Microphones, mixer, STL, transmitter and antenna equals radio
station. You have to cover what's important first.

    Most of all they're failing the station by eating the store. You and
others write about John Sakowitz as though he has unconscionably wrecked
the station's finances by costing it $800 (that's right, eight hundred
dollars) in paperwork by bringing up the license issue. $800 is less
than 1% of what just John Coate and Mary Aigner are paid. Here: $100,000
divided by 240 work days a year means John Coate and Mary Aigner just
breathing office air and playing Windows solitaire suck $800 out of the
station /every two days/.

    In other news, next month I'll be setting up the Helen Schoeni
Theater to be able to do live radio on KNYO from the stage, for when
they do readings and locally produced work, in between regular season
offerings. Staged radio drama and concerts are also possible. I just
talked with Felicia about it yesterday, and that's happening. I asked
Bob Young about it last month; he said, "Great! Go for it!" That's what
real managers do when you bring a good idea. They say, "Great!" and they
make the resources available, and you do it, and then you think of
something else to try and you try that, and you go forward and things
get better and better. And if the owners and/or managers are getting
paid, /you/ should be getting paid; otherwise you're hurting all workers
everywhere. If the owners and/or managers are getting paid to have a
nice life and save up for retirement and the workers are all
"volunteering", there are several historical words for that kind of
system. I'm sure you can think of some.

    At KZYX it goes rather like this: you prostrate yourself before the
managers and submit your idea or project or show and they dick you
around for years and treat you like a bug. And then they appoint someone
naive and controllable to produce a half-assed version of your idea, or
they buy a safe dull product  -with other people's money-  that looks
similar to them, that's produced elsewhere, and if it works they claim
credit and if it doesn't they say they gamely tried it but it's a lousy
idea and it won't work and nobody's ever gonna do /that/ again. The same
thing with the program advisory committee, which has been /required by
the board/ for, what, eight years now? and Mary and John are still
petulantly stonewalling it after sabotaging it, so that's no good. How
is any of /that/ loving or helpful? But you've got your somnambulistic
gig, Tim, so of course the status quo's fine with you.

    All I said was, wait to pledge until you see the change you want.
Members and the general public have no other way to influence the board;
they have no other input. And when new boardmembers are voted in they'll
have a little more incentive to be responsive in future and not to
backslide. And if better boardmembers aren't voted in, the station will
fail, because the CPB grant is /a lot less/ money this year, and the
managers will not accept a cut in pay, because they feel entitled to
what they're used to, and so the organism will become even greater than
two-thirds parasitical dysfunctional oppressive management by weight
and, I dunno; is there anything in nature or artifice that can operate
on those terms and thrive?

    Oh, p.s. I recovered the file in the backup recorder that was
running when candidate for a seat on KZYX' board Doug McKenty was on my
show two weeks ago (2015-02-06). We talked for about twenty minutes and
then the power to the entire coast, including our broadcast booth and
our transmitter and the internet link between them, shut off because of
the storm. We had just begun to get rolling, too; I expected we would
talk for an hour or more. (The sound at the end of the recording is a
pop or two and then a fading rising squeeeee of oscillation like when
Doctor Memory overloads at the end of We're All Bozos On This Bus by
Firesign Theater. That's the diminishing plus and minus power rails of
the mixing board squeezing the last pulse down to zero, like when you
hold a ruler down on the edge of a table and twang it, but for
electricity and much faster.)

    Anyway I put the recording on my MediaFire page for you to hear if
you want to. Forgive my intermittent coughing. It's taking awhile to
shake that.

    Here's the link:
http://tinyurl.com/2015-02-06KNYOInterviewMcKenty