[Kzyxtalk] Finances

sako4 at comcast.net sako4 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 28 09:32:31 PST 2014

Looking at the audited financials, total income for MCPB in the FY ending June 30, 2013 was $652,670.

My contention has always been that MCPB has been a jobs program for the people who work there. We could probably get along with half the staff. When you really think about it, all we really need at the station are technical people to keep the signal humming. Everything else is secondary. I could do compliance with the FCC, CPB, and IRS in my sleep. It's all pro forma. As things are presently structured, staff really spends much of their time not working, per se, but raising money for their own salaries and benefits -- singing for their supper, as it were. They're presently doing it now during this Winter Pledge Drive.

So all this raises the question: What part of of total income of $652,670 is expensed to salaries and benefits?

Ah, that is the rub!

Salaries and benefits are not reported as such. They're folded into other budget line items. Very deceptive. Very clever. Salaries and benefits are expensed as parts of "program services" and "supporting services".

Take a look (again, from the audit):

- - - - -

EXPENSES

Program Services:
Programming and production $ 74,314 $ - $ 74,314
Broadcasting $106,393 - 106,393
Program information and promotion$ 58,614 - 58,614

Supporting Services:
Management and general $ 163,594 - 163,594
Fundraising and membership development $ 100,080 - 100,080
Underwriting and grant solicitation $ 44,140 - 44,140

TOTAL EXPENSES $547,135 $ - $547,135

- - - - -

If you were to think that you could go to MCPB tax filings for what we spend on salaries and benefits, think again. Salaries and benefits are not separated out. Everything is lumped together, as it was in our audit. The following line items are from MCPB's Form 999 for 2012, the last year on file in the public domain.

- - - - -

Part IX, line 5, "Total Expenses for Key Employees" - $54,000

Part IX, line 7, "Other Salaries and Wages" - $242,390

Part IX, line 13, "Office Expenses, Including Program Service Expense, Management annd General Expense" - $158, 284

- - - - -

Confused?

Well, that's the whole point!