[Kzyxtalk] full text of my complaint to the FCC

she-la sheila.dawn50 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 20:35:21 PST 2014

Rick,
  It was John Sakowicz who was elected by the members to the Bd. of Directors last year who penned that last response.
   Tim--I will grant one of John Coate's strong points is his technical upgrades at the station. That is good & we would all be giving him 100% support if his other strong suit was fostering the community part of public radio.
  Instead, beside the numerous points of control mentioned by John S., --Coate has complete control over the website and is unwilling to let anyone else make changes to make it more interactive so that members might know what others are saying both about the station and to the Board. If you knew what info people have asked to have included on the site, like the responses of those who took the time to fill out the the station survey 2 years ago, like the $ totals for the various shows during pledge drive, you would understand how Coate consistently ignores requests for info from members and is very selective and in total control of the what goes out over the website.
     Aside from the programmers shows and the archives which admittedly are beneficial to listeners and a welcomed improvement, the website, at least to me, feels like one way "station speak".
     As someone who also was a volunteer at the station for ten years, I have personally witnessed the transition from power sharing and community open involvement to what is the antithesis of my understanding of public radio--a fear of crossing the authoritarian structure currently in place to protect one's status at the station.
Anyone who tries to participate in the supposedly democratic decision making process becomes vilified as an enemy of the station and purged. This is the subject of my next article for the AVA.
  Additionally,  the Board has refused to set up individual emails that one can, if one wishes, communicate privately with one or all of our elected reps w/o Coate having access--another suspected illegal practice. Come to the next Bd. meeting : Monday, March 3rd-Senior Center--Ft Bragg--6 p.m.
          For truth,liberty & justice,
            Sheila Dawn Tracy-former KZYX news reporter